$19,732,125 settlement

Michael C. Rader and Michelle Marvel resolve case for family of the 10-year-old killed last summer on a local Kansas City waterslide. Settlements for the family totaled morethan $19.7 million.

On Aug. 7, 2016, Caleb Schwab died while riding the Verruckt slide at Schlitterbahn, a water park in Kansas City. Verruckt, German for “insane,” was marketed as the world’s tallest waterslide at its 2014 opening. Schwab is the son of Kansas State Rep. Scott Schwab, R-Olathe. Scott Schwab, his wife, Michele Schwab, and the Estate of Caleb Schwab filed the wrongful death action.

On Jan. 11, the family settled with SVV 1 LLC, and KC Waterpark Management LLC, which collectively make up Schlitterbahn for $14 million, and with raft manufacturer Zebec of North America Inc. for $500,000. The settlement was approved by District Judge Thomas M. Sutherland. Sutherland approved a second round of settlements on April 12 with the National Aquatic Safety Co., a consulting firm, for $232,125; and with Henry & Sons Construction Co., which built the ride, for $5 million. Altogether, the settlements totaled $19,732,125.

Rader said retained experts were instrumental to obtaining the settlements. To help sift through theories of liability, he consulted with experts from fields including polymer fiber science, biomechanical engineering, computer forensics, accident reconstruction, warnings operations, restraint devices and ride design. Some of the design and testing of the slide occurred in Texas, allowing the plaintiffs to argue that Texas law applied. Rader said Texas’ law regarding noneconomic damage caps in child wrongful death claims is more favorable than that of Kansas. “We never could have made a viable argument that Texas law applied without first becoming well versed in the facts regarding the design, construction and operation of this ride,” he said.

After Schwab’s death, one of the most pressing issues the attorneys handled was an intense interest in the case by media outlets around the world. The young boy was decapitated when the raft in which he was riding became airborne and crashed into metal rods supporting the slide’s overhead netting, his attorneys said.

$9.5 million settlement

As the weather cooled, a Missouri father turned on the furnace in his family’s recently purchased home. It was the first time they had used the furnace that winter. By the next evening, the man and his daughter were found dead and his wife and son had suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning with resulting permanent brain damage.

Post-accident inspections found significant amounts of rust blocking the flame ports on the furnace’s burners, disrupting the normal gas flow and causing incomplete combustion. This condition resulted in the production of carbon monoxide in lethal amounts.

$7.5 million Ray County, Missouri Judgment

Mike Rader obtained a $7,505,176.26 judgment in Ray County, Missouri on behalf of a family for the wrongful death of their daughter. On January 25, 2015, Rachel Bailey was traveling to Richmond, Missouri, from Independence, Missouri in a 2005 Nissan Altima. While traveling eastbound on 210 Highway, a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix being operated by the defendant crossed the center line and hit Ms. Bailey’s Nissan head on. It was later determined that the defendant was legally intoxicated. As a result of the collision, Rachel was pronounced dead at the scene. 

$7.5 million settlement

The firm earned a $7.5 million settlement for the family of a motorcyclist who died after an accident with a truck driver who failed to yield to oncoming traffic. After investigating the accident, Bartimus Frickleton Robertson Rader discovered that the truck driver failed several road evaluations regarding yielding at intersections – the very issue that caused the accident – and that he twice failed his commercial driver’s license exam. The case, which involved six liability and damage experts, resolved after two mediations.

$4.1 million settlement

After nearly twenty months of contentious litigation, Mike Rader and Michelle Marvel resolved a commercial motor vehicle (eighteen-wheeler) crash case for $4,100,000.00. The trucking accident occurred in Jackson County, Missouri and resulted in the death of a 72-year-old retired man. He was struck by the eighteen-wheeler as he attempted to enter an intersection on his motorcycle. After much discovery, it was determined the trucker was undertrained and unqualified to operate the truck. This was uncovered along with evidence showing the trucking company failed to enforce its own safety policies. 

$3,750,000 Wrongful Death Settlement

Michael Rader and Mike Meyer recently resolved a wrongful death lawsuit surrounding the drowning death of a 57-year old local man for $3,750,000.00.  Mike Rader represented the decedent’s mom and two adult children.

$1.6 million settlement

Bartimus Frickleton Robertson Rader concluded a case involving the sale and mismanagement of a Fentanyl-based opioid narcotic. The health care providers and pharmacy involved paid $1.6 million and the pharmaceutical company settled for a confidential amount.

$1.5 million settlement

The accident occurred in the early morning hours while the plaintiff traveled on eastbound Interstate 70 from her family farm to a farmers market in Kansas City. While driving eastbound in the right-hand lane, a 2008 Gulf Stream RV being driven in the left-hand lane (fast lane) by the defendant crossed into the plaintiff’s lane of traffic, causing the vehicles to collide. At the time of the accident the defendant was returning to Ohio from a vacation in Colorado Springs. As a result of the accident, the eastbound lanes of I-70 were closed for over four hours.

There were no independent eyewitnesses to the accident, and neither plaintiff nor the defendant had any specific memory regarding the accident. Neither driver was cited as a result of the accident. However, as a result of an in-depth investigation concerning tire marks left on the roadway, the location of the accident debris and analysis of the damage to the vehicles, the investigator was able to confirm that the collision occurred as a result of the RV crossing into the plaintiff’s lane of traffic, leaving no time for her to react.

During the course of the case it was also discovered that the driver of the RV had been pulled over earlier that morning by local law enforcement in another state for a welfare check due to a report of careless driving. The case was settled by Mike Rader for $1.5 million.

$1.3 million Settlement

At 5:00 p.m. on April 29, 2019, decedent was traveling westbound on Dennis Avenue just west of Ward Cliff Drive.  She was operating a Toyota Rav 4.  At the same time a Jeep Liberty owned by defendant was being driven eastbound on Dennis Avenue by a consensual driver.  Defendant’s vehicle suddenly veered left and crossed the centerline violently striking the decedent’s vehicle head on.  Decedent had no time to take any evasive action to avoid the collision.  Multiple eyewitnesses interviewed by Mike’s investigator confirmed defendant’s vehicle turned suddenly into the oncoming traffic.  The decedent was emergently transported from the scene to a local trauma center where she was pronounced dead.

It was later determined by medical care providers that the decedent likely died upon impact.  At the time of her passing, decedent was a stay at home mom to her 5-year-old son and married.  The current $250,000 wrongful death damage cap in Kansas applicable to non-economic damages necessitated an exhaustive evaluation of all possible economic loss claims.  This included lost family and household services.  As a result of Mike’s work and the help of two retained economic experts, he was able to collect $1,300,000 which represents the total amount of available proceeds from all parties (the owner of the vehicle, the driver and the driver’s two parents).  

$950,000 settlement

A 55-year-old patient was diagnosed with an adrenal adenoma and a week later, surgeons performed a left adrenalectomy. During the procedure, the physicians removed what they thought was plaintiff’s left adrenal gland. In fact, they had erroneously removed the tail portion of his pancreas, which went undiagnosed until eventually discovered by CT scan a week later. As a result of the extensive damage caused by the pancreatic removal, Plaintiff’s condition slowly deteriorated, causing his untimely death. The case was settled for $950,000.