Beware of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning When Shoveling Snow Around a Running Car

The organization KidsAndCars recently reported that a 23 year old mother and her son died of carbon monoxide poisoning while sitting in a running car while the child’s father was shoveling snow out from around the vehicle.  The tailpipe of the car was covered in snow, causing deadly carbon monoxide to leak inside the car.   Anytime a car is turned on following a heavy snow, the operator should check to make sure that ice and snow are not blocking the car’s tailpipe.  Bartimus Frickleton Robertson Rader partner Jim Bartimus serves on the Board of the KidsandCars organization.